Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Big Stitch quilting

I'm obsessed with this BIg Stitch Quilting. I'll be honest I never thought this would be something for me, but I've been wanting to try my hand at it for over a year. I turned my sister-in-law onto it when she came over to ask me to help her layer a king sized quilt she had made for her daughter and husband for their 10 year anniversary and told me she wanted to hand quilt it but wasn't sure how she was going to go about it because she had never hand quilted before. I turned her onto big stitch quilting from Wendy Gratz's blog Shiny Happy World and at the same time told her she was crazy for trying hand quilting for the first time on such a HUGE project. But she did it and it turned out gorgeous. So after that I knew I had to give it a shot but wanted to try it out on a much smaller project. I found this adorable spring bunny pillow pattern on a blog  called "Flamingo Toes." OMG it was so fun to hand quilt this little pillow top using the big stitch quilting. I did not mark my lines at first but soon realized I couldn't see in a straight line, but now that I've done a whole pillow top I think I could do it without marking my straight lines,  it it takes some practice. I am actually on my second pillow top now. My sister saw it and asked if I would make her one. If you think you might like to try hand quilting, this is the way to go. Check out Wendy's video. She explaines it very well and is a great teacher. She has a lot of other really cute things on her blog as well. It is definitely worth checking her out.

No comments:

Post a Comment